Traveled to Cologne, Germany for a fantastic week of rehearsals culminating at a performance at the Kulturhaus Lyz in Siegen. Selected wide-ranging sets of my compositions & arrangements from the earliest Surge recordings to the very latest. Was a lot of fun revisiting some of those charts – especially with that band!! Looking forward to our next project! Stay tuned!!
All too brief but thoroughly delightful guest artist visits/workshops/rehearsals at:
- Duquesne Univ. (PA)
- Shepherd Univ. (WV)
- Radford Univ. (VA)
Appearances already slated for Spring, 2019 at:
- Elon University Jazz Festival (NC)
- Illinois State Univ. Jazz Festival
- Appalachian State Univ. (NC)
More dates coming soon!
What a great honor and wonderful time attending the 2018 Grammy Celebration in New York surrounded by family and several of the Surge members. Thanks to all of you who supported us!!
- Named in Top 10 Jazz Albums of 2017 by:
- WBGO (Gary Walker – Newark)
- WDCB (Neil Tesser – Chicago)
- WHRV (Jae Sinnett – Norfolk)
- KMUW (Chris Heim – Wichita)
- Named in Top 20 Jazz Albums of 2017 by:
- New York Music Daily
- Jazz History Online
On Nov. 28th, “Whispers On the Wind”, the 6th and latest CD from Chuck Owen with the Jazz Surge was honored with FOUR GRAMMY nominations for:
- Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album
- Best Improvised Jazz Solo (Sara Caswell, Vln.)
- Best Instrumental Composition (Warped Cowboy)
- Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A Cappella (All Hat, No Saddle)
This brings the ensemble’s total up to 7 (!), having received two for “River Runs” in 2014 and one for “The Comet’s Tail” in 2010.
Reviews have been effusive in their praise for “Whispers” with SoulandJazz.com and JazzWeekly naming in their Jazz CD of the week:
- “creative, poetic, . . . wildly personal” – Buffalo News
- “a grand sweeping set . . . . Killer Stuff!” – Midwest Record Reviews
- “an impressive melding of Montana and 52nd St.” – Jazz Weekly
- “Reality on a sizzling hot silver platter.: – Medium.com
For more comments and reviews visit: http://www.chuckowen.com/media/reviews-and-testimonials/
Please check out the newly renovated webstore where, in addition to Jazz Surge CDs you’ll find an expanded array of charts (including some re-orchestrated versions that eliminate woodwind doubles) and study scores. In addition to the “Whispers” charts, you’ll find arrangements Chuck crafted for Denmark’s Aarhus Jazz Orchestra available for the first time.