Bob Seymour, long-time Jazz Program Director of WUSF-FM, interviewed Chuck about the Jazz Surge’s latest release, “The Comet’s Tail”, in a wide-ranging broadcast aired earlier in the month. The program, which originally ran over an hour with full music clips, has been edited to approximately 25 minutes on WUSF’s website.
The Comet’s Tail: Performing the Compositions of Michael Brecker” is garnering rave reviews just weeks after being released by MAMA Records.
– “Sensational. One of the year’s great jazz discs.” – Buffalo News
– “A truly outstanding recording. Explosively played. . . . larger than life versions. . . .opulent far beyond anything that might be construed as conventional. Deserving of universal attention.” – Michael G. Nastos, All Music Guide
– “This one’s a memorable gem.” – Jazziz
– “Throughout my 27 years at WBGO, quite a few “tribute” records have come across my desk. I have to tell you “Comet’s Tail” is certainly one of the finest, capturing the spirit, passion, brilliance and magnificent compositions we all enjoyed through Michael’s genius. An extremely well told tale of this comet!” – WBGO Music Director, Gary Walker.
– “Incredible, fantastic, and a true masterpiece of music. Not only one of the better big band recordings I have ever heard but also one of the best recordings . . . . .ever.” Harry Schnipper, Exec. Dir., Blues Alley, Wash., DC
A departure from previous Surge releases, this one is produced in tandem with the USF Center for Jazz Composition and pays tribute to the compositions of jazz icon, Michael Brecker, by re-envisioning them through the eyes of various arrangers including frequent Brecker collaborators, Gil Goldstein & Vince Mendoza, Vancouver composer Fred Stride (winner of the CJC’s International Jazz Arranging Competition), Dave Stamps, and, of course, Chuck himself. Joining the Surge are a host of special guests (Randy Brecker, Dave Liebman, Joe Lovano, Mike Mainieri, Adam Nussbaum, & Mike Stern) all of whom shared the bandstand on numerous occasions with Brecker. Also back in a prominent role is Rob Thomas, NY based violinist extraordinaire.
Peep – Listen to clip
Continue reading “Comet’s Tail Released to Raves!”